Physician Assistant Interview Questions
A Physician Assistant (PA) performs in a similar capacity to a physician. They examine patients to determine a diagnosis for an injury or sickness. They can also prescribe medications, and order diagnostic testing. While they are allowed a certain amount of freedom when treating patients, a Physician Assistant must work under the direct supervision of a physician or surgeon.
The role of a Physician Assistant is largely a learning role, so a Physician Assistant must be hungry for knowledge and attentive to the actions of their directing Physician.
Physician Assistant responsibilities may include:
- Provide preventative care consultations.
- Order and interpret laboratory tests.
- Prescribe medication.
- Make appropriate referrals and coordinate with multidisciplinary specialists when needed.
- Take notes and put together files on patients.
- Assist in surgeries.
Physician Assistants are responsible for providing direct support to practicing Physicians. In order to take on enough responsibility to allow the lead Physician to focus on primary issues, a skilled Physician Assistant will:
- Follow directions with care.
- Show initiative in providing patient care.
- Communicate clearly with their lead Physician, medical staff, and patients.
- Stay up to date on industry trends in order to best serve their clients.
- Demonstrate leadership among staff members and patients.
In order to qualify for an entry level position, candidates must pass a graduate Physician Assistant program and have at least 4 years of experience in healthcare in order to obtain a Master’s degree. Afterwards, they must pass the Physician Assistant National Certifying Examination as well as earning state licensure in the state they plan to practice in. Additionally, Physician Assistants must pass a recertification exam every 10 years as well as complete 100 hours of continuing education every 2 years.START INTERVIEW NOW START INTERVIEW NOW
PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT SAMPLE INTERVIEW QUESTIONS
Why do you want to be a Physician Assistant?
Would you feel comfortable working without a physician in the office?
How did you prepare yourself for a job in the medical field?
You know that the Physician in charge has given a wrong diagnosis. What do you do?
What do you think is the most difficult part about being a Physician Assistant?