Civil Engineer Interview Questions
Civil Engineers design and oversee construction on projects such as bridges, dams, tunnels, airports, highways, water supply routes, sewage systems, and other large structures. A Civil Engineer’s work will typically begin with reviewing drawings and specifications for a proposed project. Afterwards, they provide a projected timeline as well as cost estimates for labor, equipment and materials.
Once a project is approved, Civil Engineers are responsible for submitting local, state and federal permit applications in order to verify that the project complies with regulations. Once work begins on a project, a Civil Engineer oversees construction and provides onsite supervision.
Civil Engineer responsibilities may include:
- Put together a budget and timeline for proposed projects.
- Submit permit applications as needed.
- Design structures essential to infrastructure.
- Perform research on factors such as pollution, traffic, or weather that may impact infrastructure.
- Supervise construction.
Civil Engineers are vital in designing safe and effective infrastructure that thousands will count on every single day. In order to provide the best designs possible, a skilled Civil Engineer will:
- Demonstrate leadership qualities to provide supervision on construction sites.
- Utilize creative thinking in order to provide efficient city planning.
- Adhere to strict safety standards.
- Have an expert knowledge in both the theory and practical application of mechanics.
- Demonstrate proficiency in Computer Aided Design (CAD) software.
In order to be eligible for entry level jobs, a Civil Engineer must complete a Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering. Additionally, a Professional Engineering license is required, which requires you to pass two exams as well as complete four years of practical application as a junior engineer.
For those who wish to perform in a teaching capacity, most universities will require a Doctorate in Engineering.START INTERVIEW NOW START INTERVIEW NOW
CIVIL ENGINEER SAMPLE INTERVIEW QUESTIONS
Do you have any prior experience with Computer Aided Design (CAD) software?
What would you do if there was a major problem and it was putting your project behind schedule?
What does Rigging mean?
If a contractor failed to meet a plan specification, how would you handle the situation?
What is the definition of construction aggregate?
What is the difference between true stress and engineering stress?