Guidance Counselor Interview Questions
Guidance Counselors help support elementary, middle or high school students through school counseling programs. Guidance Counselors provide assistance in regard to student academic and career goals or assist them in their social and mental capacities. They must provide encouragement and support to students who are struggling academically or mentally. All the while, they must and pay attention to cultural or societal differences when dealing with students.
Guidance Counselors conduct group and individual counseling sessions to assist students with any problems they might be dealing with and help identify any behavioral problems with at-risk students. They must exercise professionalism at all times and be discrete about student problems to maintain trust.
Guidance Counselor responsibilities may include:
- Listen to any problems a student might be having.
- Mediate peer conflict.
- Organize peer counseling programs.
- Work to discourage the use of drugs and alcohol.
- Refer students for additional counseling as needed.
Students face many problems as they grow, physically, academically, and emotionally. In order to provide support and encourage them to make good decisions, a skilled Guidance Counselor will:
- Utilize active listening to assess student needs.
- Maintain a professional, friendly demeanor.
- Practice discretion as needed to maintain trust with students.
- Exercise proper judgment when referring students for additional counseling services.
- Facilitate a support network for students.
To secure a position as a Guidance Counselor, candidates will need to possess a Master’s Degree in education counseling and they will need to pass an exam to obtain a license. Additional requirements may vary from state to state.START INTERVIEW NOW START INTERVIEW NOW
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR INTERVIEW QUESTIONS
Why did you choose to become a Guidance Counselor?
How can a counselor be a leader in the school?
Can you give an example of how you have gone above and beyond to help a student?
Have you ever had to mediate problems between a student and a teacher?
How would you mediate conflict between students?
Do you have experience working with disadvantaged children?
Can you discuss your experience helping students that have been victims of bullying?