A Bookkeeper records financial transactions for a business and then creates financial reports from that information. The transactions are recorded either in an accounting journal or on a computer program, depending on the size of the company.
Reports that Bookkeepers keep typically include cash receipts, invoices for customers, and supplier invoices. A Bookkeeper will also review and reconcile all accounts to ensure they are accurate.
A Bookkeeper’s responsibilities may include:
- Maintaining petty cash.
- Maintaining an annual budget and providing quarterly reports on this budget.
- Charting accounts as needed.
- Sending customers billing invoices.
- Creating day to day financial statements using bookkeeping software.
- Making sure that all taxes and debts are paid in full.
- Working in tandem with external auditors as the need arises.
Bookkeeper’s are an integral part of maintaining a business in its day to day operations. A skilled Bookkeeper will need to be able to:
- Maintain a system that will keep track of financial statements.
- Manage their time well in order to stay on top of all of their duties.
- Stay up to date on bookkeeping practices in order to maximize performance.
- Have a working knowledge of online databases and spreadsheets.
As a basic accounting position, Bookkeepers will only need a high school degree for most entry level positions. However, because of the competition within the industry, a Bachelor's degree will help tremendously in securing a job. More importantly, however, is a good track record of communication and organizational skills as well as prior experience in recording financial statements.START INTERVIEW NOW START INTERVIEW NOW
SAMPLE BOOKKEEPER INTERVIEW QUESTIONS
Have you used QuickBooks before? If so, what is your level of experience with the program?
Tell me about a time you caught a discrepancy within financial statements?
Tell me about a time when a coworker was not doing their fair share of work. What did you do and what was the outcome?
What kind of systems do you use to stay organized?
What process do you go through to maintain financial accuracy?
Get our 6-day, 6-part email series.
* We promise not to spam.
A summarized version of our exclusive program includes:
- 1. Company Research Understand the company.
- 2. Strengths and Weaknesses Assessing your strengths and weaknesses, and using them to your advantage.
- 3. Behavioral and Situational Questions Types of questions asked and how to use our S.T.A.R technique.
- 4. Technical Questions Answering them and why they are important.
- 5. Questions to Ask What questions to ask and why it’s important.
- 6. Interview Checklist What to bring the day of and how to calm your nerves.